Ben Chew and Nigel Wilkinson, partners in Manatt’s litigation practice, and Steve Raptis, partner in Manatt’s insurance recovery practice, have been invited to speak at the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) National Capital Region’s Signature Luncheon, titled “Ethics: Wearing Two Hats – How In-House Lawyers Ethically Balance the Role of Lawyer and Business Advisor,” taking place in McLean, Virginia on October 20, 2016. The luncheon will address ethical issues in-house counsel often face when wearing more than one professional “hat.” How do in-house counsel balance their dual roles within the confines of the ethics rules when acting as both a legal advisor and a business advisor? This seminar will address this question, and issues surrounding it such as:
- Defining the “client”
- Protecting attorney-client privilege
- Separating legal from non-legal advice
- Communicating with non-legal personnel
- Obligations in dealing with potentially dishonest or illegal conduct
- Rules allowing in-house counsel to represent the client, in some situations, without being a licensed member of the bar
- Maximizing insurance protection for in-house counsel in both roles
Elizabeth Gill, President and Deputy General Counsel of CACI International, will serve as a panelist at the seminar, and James Villa, Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Versar, Inc., will moderate.
For more information about this event, please click here.