We have entered a new age of energy. Regulations and markets are in constant flux, as are consumer preferences. Key players are finding new ways of sourcing, generating, trading, storing and distributing energy as we shift from hydrocarbons to renewables. Whether you're a traditional producer or a cleantech startup, now is the time to look ahead and think smart.
A partner for progress
We're more than a law firm. Think of us as problem solvers. Whether you're a multinational, a startup or somewhere in between, we get your business. And we get you where you need to go. Of course, we have the legal skills and expertise you'd expect from Manatt. But we think beyond law and find intelligent, pragmatic and commercially viable methods to get things done and make projects happen.
Legal issues affect everyone in this industry. It's standard.
Our team understands your needs and priorities. We also understand our place in the context of your project—and keep things moving to achieve your goals with minimum fuss. Our legal, regulatory, commercial, economic and engineering expertise means we can help you with whatever you might need: state and federal litigation, transactional matters such as agreements and compliance, finance, community relations and more. And with former energy industry executives and government and legislative officials on our team, we cut through the maze of state, federal and local regulations to get the results you need.
Focused on the future with our colleagues in our Government Relations and Environmental Law practices, we're shaping discussions and policy around climate change, alternative fuels, and energy-related stimulus dollars and taxation.
Who we work with
Our clients are the movers and shakers in energy, dealing in everything from electric power, natural gas, oil and coal to renewable energy. We work with everyone from the largest global giants to inventive startups, as well as industry proponents and opponents, applicants and interveners.
What we do
Our integrated practice offers the whole package. Some of our most common activities are:
- Regulatory and land use compliance and advocacy
- Business problem analysis and solutions
- Litigation and arbitration before state and federal regulatory bodies and courts
- Power generation and gas sales agreements
- Transmission, transportation and distribution agreements
- Community relations
- Clean energy alternatives
- Environmental compliance, licensing and due diligence
- Interstate and international commerce
- Tax and tariff issues
- Policy and political planning and lobbying
- Project finance and development
- Mergers and acquisitions
Energy Industry Transactional Strength
Energy industry companies are among the most capital-intensive businesses in the world, and Manatt attorneys have assisted them with every major type of transaction, ranging from financing, acquisitions and dispositions to special due diligence issues and restructuring of energy assets. Among the major deals we have handled are:
- The development, purchase and sale of natural gas, pipeline construction and electric power generation within the United States and between U.S. and Mexican and U.S. and Canadian interests
- Negotiating and preparing agreements to purchase natural gas, refined products and electricity, to reserve transmission and pipeline capacity, and to develop and install alternative energy sources
- Project finance transactions on behalf of energy companies and financial institutions in combined cycle, cogeneration, geothermal, coal and hydro projects
- Proposed mergers of U.S.- and Canada-based petroleum refiners and marketers, and natural gas and electric distribution companies, including extensive litigation and environmental due diligence
- Negotiating and preparing agreements for the merger and acquisition of a solar panel manufacturer with facilities in California, Arizona, Brazil and China