A new entertainment landscape
There's no business like show business. The interplay between technology and consumer demand is transforming the marketplace. Content is king, and the challenge is finding the right platforms to deliver and monetize your film, TV or music properties. With the globalization of financing, production, distribution and licensing, you need the right mix of business savvy and legal expertise. That's the value Manatt provides—to help you stay ahead in the rapidly changing market for entertainment and media.
Entertainment and media is in our bones. Manatt is recognized as a pioneer and leader in the industry, with our team receiving regular accolades in national and international trade and entertainment publications. Our practice covers music, film and TV, as well as digital media, sports, live events and other ventures.
Film and TV
Our film, TV and digital content practice provides both transactional and litigation services to studios, networks, telecommunications companies, production and distribution companies, banks, funds and other investors.
From our Los Angeles and New York offices, our film and TV lawyers broker deals across America and in Asia, Europe and Latin America. And we're shaping the future of digital media, providing crucial strategic support to major players in this space.
The team is practiced and pragmatic, excelling in financing, production, distribution, licensing, mergers and acquisitions in all aspects of the entertainment and media industries.
Our music lawyers represent some of the world's biggest artists as well as the record companies, producers, concert promoters, publishers and distributors. We handle licensing and merchandising, corporate sponsorship, financing, copyright litigation, mergers and acquisitions, tax, real estate, privacy, FTC, labor matters and more.
With decades of experience and long-lasting relationships, we understand how things work and know whom to talk to. We see things from both legal and commercial standpoints, advising clients on business decisions that create successful deals. We also have a sterling record in entertainment and media litigation.
Who we work with
Being the go-to firm for some of the biggest global players in entertainment, our clients know they can rely on us to deliver value and advance their business objectives. We work with:
- Film and television companies
- Record labels and music publishers
- Independent producers and distributors
- Digital media ventures—digital content producers and distributors in music, video and gaming
- Telecommunications companies
- International media companies entering the U.S. market
- Financial institutions, funds and investors
- Film, TV and music talent—actors, writers, directors, producers, managers, musicians, promoters and authors
- Athletes, professional sports teams, sports league associations and sports media companies
What we do
We cover the entire spectrum of entertainment and media law and consultancy. Our wide-ranging work includes:
- Entertainment financing, production, and distribution
- Endorsement, licensing and sponsorship opportunities
- Employment and talent agreements
- Contractual aspects of worldwide tours
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property protection
- Privacy and data security
- Real estate
- Litigation and Federal Trade Commission defense