Technological, cross-border and global advances increasingly render time-tested business models and assumptions irrelevant. An expansion-heavy boom year can be followed by bankruptcy or the need to restructure the next year. As an investor, lender or operator, you want to maximize recoveries in distressed debt situations. As a tenant or debtor, you must prioritize your obligations and emerge from bankruptcy or restructuring with a future.
We can work it out
In a world that’s constantly being turned upside down, a well-balanced law firm helps keep you right-side up.
We believe success comes from pragmatic experience gained from working both sides of bankruptcy and restructuring, and related litigation, and knowing what to expect from the other side or its counsel.
Whatever brought you to bankruptcy or the need to restructure, we strive to develop solutions that preserve your value, address your problems and leave you stronger than before.
Banks and institutional lenders
With over 300 banking and financial services clients, we know the regulatory, business and legal issues pertaining to that sector, and also recognize that there are often more than just two sides—debtor and creditor—in a workout situation, but various constituencies with divergent interests that need to be considered, dealt with and resolved to achieve a successful result.
Bank holding companies sometimes become the debtors in their own bankruptcy proceedings when a bank is taken over by regulators. We’ve represented bank holding companies as Chapter 11 debtors to ensure orderly liquidations deal with all bank holding regulatory, tax and SEC matters.
We represent banks and institutional lenders in sophisticated and major loan workouts, including both individual loans and large portfolios of loans. Whether individual or a portfolio of loans, some of which have real estate components, our lawyers have the experience and the reputation for creating solutions and achieving realistic value for clients.
Our attorneys have been called upon to represent clients and provide counsel when bankruptcy issues arise in Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America. We combine formidable bankruptcy restructuring savvy and extensive experience in international financial transactions with the skills of bilingual lawyers who are also fluent in both civil and common-law legal systems.
With their operating costs steadily increasing and reimbursements declining, healthcare companies, particularly in California, are experiencing unique challenges. In collaboration with our healthcare restructuring, corporate reorganization and litigation teams, we provide experienced guidance to public and private healthcare businesses in bankruptcy.
Who we work with
- Shopping centers
- Office building and hotel owners and operators
- Multifamily unit developers and tenants
- Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 debtors
- Trustees and those being sued by trustees
- Secured lenders
- Syndicates of secured lenders and unsecured creditors
- Bondholders, bondholder indenture trustees and bondholder committees
- Volatility fund management firms, including hedge funds, money managers and venture funds
Achieving favorable outcomes both inside and outside the courtroom.
- Representing a bankruptcy trustee, Manatt commenced an adversarial proceeding against the debtor alleging fraudulent transfer of a California acute care hospital, recovering more than $10 million for the benefit of creditors.
- Manatt advised California's Department of Managed Health Care, which oversees all managed care in the state, regarding the Chapter 11 cases of MedPartners Provider Network Inc., KPC Global Care and Maxicare Health Plans Inc.
- Manatt served as the City of Los Angeles' bankruptcy counsel in the Chapter 11 case of Adelphia Communications Corp.
- When a major California city began experiencing budget shortfalls, Manatt was brought in to secure federal stimulus dollars and Department of Homeland Security funds.
- Our lawyers successfully defended a major casino operator against a $26 million fraudulent transfer claim where a trustee alleged the casino knew or should have known that the gambled funds were the result of a Ponzi scheme.
- When several Southeastern U.S. banks were defrauded in a major real estate development, Manatt lawyers, representing several of the banks, successfully prosecuted nondischargeability actions for the banks.
- When major sports franchises have filed for bankruptcy or have been on the verge of doing so, Manatt lawyers have successfully protected and preserved millions of dollars in broadcast licensing fees.
- Manatt lawyers have protected and preserved healthcare businesses, including several acute care hospitals, while preserving value and preserving secured loans for major lenders and providers.