Climate of change
Today’s M&A environment is more competitive than ever. With more opportunity comes more complexity. From scrutinizing multifaceted, nuanced acquisition opportunities to identifying the best time for an exit, we help you see through the fog of competitive bidders and regulatory obstacles to a clear strategic vision and confident decision making.
The right moves at the right time
At Manatt, you get the deep M&A experience and broad ancillary and regulatory expertise of a large national firm with the attention, responsiveness and flexibility of a boutique practice. We customize your deal team to suit the needs of any transaction—from multinational acquisitions requiring deep international tax, antitrust and regulatory expertise, to sales of family businesses requiring a smaller team of M&A and wealth management strategists.
Whatever your situation, you need a commercially minded legal partner who gets your business, your goals and the company-specific sensitivities that will guide your deals to success.
Gaining a profound understanding of your goals, we apply the right combination of business judgment and legal dexterity to help you move fast and make the most of every opportunity. We bring our industry knowledge and regulatory expertise to bear on every recommendation we make, focusing positively on solutions. We also consciously avoid over-lawyering—our job is to get the job done, intelligently and efficiently, to keep your business moving forward.
Who we work with
We work with enterprising businesses of all kinds: large multinational corporations, private middle-market companies, private equity funds and individual entrepreneurs. Our industry experience is wide, and runs particularly deep in the following areas:
- Financial services, ranging from traditional banking M&A to financial technology and alternative payment industry leaders
- Healthcare, including representation of payors, providers and medical technology and pharmaceutical companies
- Entertainment and digital media
- Energy, including alternative energy acquisitions and financing
What we do
We handle and advise on mergers and acquisitions at every stage, from strategic planning to final closing. Our services include:
- Domestic and international merger, stock purchase and asset purchase transactions
- Private equity investments and acquisitions
- Going-private transactions
- Leveraged and management buyouts
- Tender and exchange offers
- Unsolicited offers and takeover defenses
- Special committee representations
- Regulatory liaisons and approvals
- Proxy contests
- Share exchanges
Recent experience include Manatt's representation of:
- Bertelsmann Learning LLC, a subsidiary of Bertelsmann AG, Europe's largest media group, in its $540 million acquisition of Relias Learning from private equity firm Vista Equity Partners. The acquisition was part of a strategy to make education, and particularly e-learning, one of Bertelsmann's main profit centers.
- Blue Shield of California strategic advice and representation in connection with the auction acquisition of Care1st Health Plan, a provider-founded managed care company based in Los Angeles County, for $1.2 billion. At closing, Care1st had 473,000 Medicaid members, 46,000 Medicare members and 5,300 dually eligible members, as well 20 years of experience administering government-sponsored health plans. We advised on negotiating and structuring the deal.
- Budget Rent A Car of Southern California in its sale to Avis Budget Group for $210 million in addition to the cost of the acquired fleet.
- Del Taco LLC, an owner and operator of quick-service restaurants, and its limited partnerships in connection with its sale of assets, special meeting of limited partners, deregistration and dissolution.
- Pasadena,CA-based East West Bancorp Inc., parent company of East West Bank, in its $268 million acquisition of Houston-based bank holding company MetroCorp Bancshares Inc.'s subsidiaries in Texas (MetroBank NA; 12 branches) and California (Metro United Bank; six branches).
- Xiamen Hongfa, a $4 billion market capitalization Chinese public company, in connection with its acquisition of KG Technologies, Inc., a smart grid device company. This was Hongfa’s first U.S. acquisition.
- Houlihan Lokey in its acquisition of MESA Securities, Inc., a boutique investment bank that provides financial advisory services to media and entertainment industries, for an undisclosed price. We also provided tax structuring advice in connection with the acquisition.
- InvaGen Pharmaceuticals (InvaGen), a therapeutic-focused generic prescription manufacturer and distributor, in its sale to India-based Cipla Ltd., a global pharmaceutical company. The all-cash transaction was valued at $550 million. The purchase price included the sale of InvaGen and Exelan Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Mann + Hummel, a multibillion-euro filter product manufacturer and the owner of the Purolator brand, in its €1.2 billion acquisition of Affinia Group's filter business.
- Meritus Payment Solutions, a California-based provider of payment and transaction processing solutions, in its $210 million sale to Optimal Payments Plc.
- SCL Health System in its acquisition of Denver-based Platte Valley Medical Center.
- Stamps.com, an El Segundo based company, is a leading provider of Internet-based postage services, in its $55 million acquisition of ShippingEasy, Inc., an Austin, Texas-based company that offers Web-based multicarrier shipping software.
- UCSF Medical Center in its acquisition of Children’s Hospital & Research Center of Oakland. Under the agreement, Children’s Oakland has been clinically linked with UCSF’s Benioff Children’s Hospital, but UCSF Medical Center and Children’s Oakland has retained separate licenses and boards. The public-private partnership is the most comprehensive provider of pediatric services in Northern California and has created a leading clinical care and academic program with national recognition. Combined, the hospitals are among the top ten largest children’s healthcare providers in the country.
- Valley Campus Pharmacy d/b/a TNH Advanced Specialty Pharmacy in its sale to Diplomat Pharmacy, Inc., a public company traded on the NYSE, and the nation’s largest independent specialty pharmacy.
2010 M&A Tombstone
2009 M&A Tombstone
2008 M&A Tombstone
2007 M&A Tombstone
2006 M&A Tombstone
2005 M&A Tombstone