The recent explosion of blockchain technology and intensified consumer interest in augmented reality have driven many companies and individuals to realize the promise of a new kind of digital world: the metaverse. Coinciding with the dawn of the Web3 era—the next decentralized iteration of the Internet, built on blockchain—the metaverse represents a novel platform for virtual communication and decentralized transactions. Early movers and innovators likely will be rewarded for adapting quickly to the changing landscape.
While the metaverse offers an infinite world of possibilities on which businesses and individuals can capitalize, it also presents a world of uncharted legal and regulatory risk that requires deftness and precision to navigate.
That’s where we come in. Manatt’s integrated platform, including best-in-class consulting and legal counsel at the critical nexus of cryptocurrency, digital and technology transactions, data security, advertising, entertainment, venture capital, and intellectual property, distinctly positions us to provide a multifaceted perspective on metaverse and Web3-related opportunities and challenges. We have a deep understanding of the issues that matter most to those seeking to enter the metaverse or otherwise serve as part of the ecosystem that will sustain it—and we are already actively representing clients in this burgeoning space. From regulatory advice to dealmaking to litigation, Manatt is counsel you can trust to keep you ahead of the curve in a rapidly expanding and evolving market.
What We Do
However you plan to interact with the metaverse, our bench of deeply knowledgeable professionals is at your service to keep you operating on the cutting edge of the digital landscape.
We offer advice and representation on matters relating to:
- Blockchain-based technologies and transactions
- Cryptocurrency financing, including simple agreement for future equity (SAFE) and simple agreement for future tokens (SAFT) subscriptions
- Decentralized financing structures, including stablecoin protocols and real-world asset financing
- Cryptocurrency regulations
- Decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) structuring and formation
- Non-fungible token (NFT) minting, marketing and transactions
- Token and coin issuances and exchange listings
- Content creation, monetization and licensing
- Privacy and cybersecurity
- Copyright, patent, trademark and trade secret protection
- Defense in government inquiries and investigations
- Real estate transactions
- Go-to-market and business growth strategies
- Employment contracts and disputes
- Brand activations
- Developer and publisher agreements, including software licensing and application programming interface (API) agreements
- World-building production and financing agreements
- Joint venture transactions
- Advertising, brand, influencer and sponsorship agreements