Wednesday, April 7, 2010 Manatt hosted the first in a series of complimentary webinar sessions focusing on the evolving landscape in data privacy.
To download a copy of the presentation, click here.
This session provided an overview of the nature of these risks and the steps health care organizations can take to mitigate potential liability.
Robert Belfort presented on the following:
- Recent trends in HIPAA civil and criminal enforcement
- Heightened HIPAA penalties under HITECH
- The new role of Attorneys General in HIPAA enforcement
- The direct regulation of business associates under HIPAA
- Implementation of the federal security breach notification rules issued under HITECH
- New obligations of personal health record vendors and their contractors
- The new role of the FTC enforcing security breach notification
- The application of the FTC red flag rules to the health care industry