A partner in Manatt’s insurance recovery practice, has been invited to speak at the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) National Capital Region’s Signature Luncheon, titled “Ethics: Wearing Two Hats – How In-House Lawyers Ethically Balance the Role of Lawyer and Business Advisor,” taking place in McLean, Virginia on October 20, 2016. The luncheon will address ethical issues in-house counsel often face when wearing more than one professional “hat.” How do in-house counsel balance their dual roles within the confines of the ethics rules when acting as both a legal advisor and a business advisor? This seminar will address this question, and issues surrounding it such as:
- Defining the “client”
- Protecting attorney-client privilege
- Separating legal from non-legal advice
- Communicating with non-legal personnel
- Obligations in dealing with potentially dishonest or illegal conduct
- Rules allowing in-house counsel to represent the client, in some situations, without being a licensed member of the bar
- Maximizing insurance protection for in-house counsel in both roles
Elizabeth Gill, President and Deputy General Counsel of CACI International, will serve as a panelist at the seminar, and James Villa, Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Versar, Inc., will moderate.
For more information about this event, please click here.