Nine months after the emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States, how has the litigation landscape been transformed? Join Manatt for a discussion of key trends that have come and gone—and those to prepare for in 2021.
From court closures to virtual depositions, the practice of litigation was upended in 2020 by the COVID-19 pandemic. Novel legal claims and theories, difficult questions surrounding reopening, and complex force majeure disputes marked a year of change and turmoil for litigators and their clients. Nine months into the pandemic, however, certain key trends can be distilled from the first major wave of COVID-19 litigation, offering insights into best practices for the present and future.
A multidisciplinary group of Manatt partners will offer a broad perspective on what the COVID-19 era has in store for litigation, learning from the past year and looking ahead to the next. Key topics include:
- What trends and types of claims marked the first wave of COVID-19 litigation in 2020?
- What is the status of the courts around the country, and how can attorneys best adapt to virtual proceedings?
- How can employers across industries mitigate litigation risks when reopening for business?
- Where have government agencies acted to investigate and launch enforcement actions arising from COVID-19-related stimulus programs and regulatory changes?
- How will the use of liability waivers change as a result of the pandemic, and why are they a particularly critical litigation avoidance tool for organizations amidst a pandemic?
- How should the surge in COVID-19-related contract and force majeure disputes impact your contract negotiations in 2021?
Richard S. Hartunian, Partner, Investigations, Compliance and White Collar Defense
Mandana Massoumi, Partner, Employment and Labor
Brad W. Seiling, Partner, Litigation
Prana A. Topper, Partner, Litigation
Charles E. Weir, Partner, Healthcare Litigation
Date and Time
Thursday, December 10
10:00 – 11:00 a.m. PT
1:00 – 2:00 p.m. ET
This program has been approved for 1.0 NY CLE Professional Practice (transitional and non-transitional) and is pending approval for 1.0 CA MCLE General credit.
For regular updates on the major challenges companies are facing, please visit our COVID-19 resources page, and subscribe for timely updates in your inbox here.
If you would like to receive an audio transcript of this webinar due to accessibility issues, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. Views expressed by presenters are strictly their own and should not be construed to be the views of Manatt or attributed to Manatt.