In late June, California’s Governor Newsom signed the California Health Care Quality and Affordability Act, establishing a new Office of Health Care Affordability (OHCA) within the Department of Health Care Access and Information (HCAI). The OHCA is charged with developing and implementing a new statewide, data-driven strategy for reducing health care cost growth and improving affordability for consumers and purchasers in California.
The creation of the OHCA and its cost growth benchmarking program marks a new era in health care transparency and oversight in California. In a new webinar, Manatt Health will lead a panel of state innovators discussing what makes California’s legislation unique; what it means for Californian payers, providers and consumers; and how this action will shift the policy landscape in the years ahead. The program also will share lessons learned and best practices for other states that have established similar initiatives to increase transparency and manage health care costs. Topics will examine how the OHCA will work toward achieving its mandate across key initiatives, including:
- Setting a statewide health care cost growth target against which entities will be held accountable
- Collecting and analyzing systemwide health care cost data to identify cost drivers
- Enforcing compliance with cost growth targets
- Measuring and promoting systemwide:
- Investments in primary care and behavioral health care
- Adoption of alternative payment models
- Improvements in quality and equity
- Monitoring and advancing practices to support health care workforce stability
- Increasing transparency and oversight of market consolidation activities
Kevin McAvey, Director
Jonah Frohlich, Senior Managing Director
Joel Ario, Managing Director
Amy Zhan, Manager
Date and Time
Thursday, September 8
12:00 noon–1:00 p.m. ET
If you would like to receive an audio transcript of this webinar due to accessibility issues, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. Views expressed by presenters are strictly their own and should not be construed to be the views of Manatt or attributed to Manatt.