The inclusion of racial and ethnic groups in clinical trials has been a national priority for decades, but progress toward that goal has been limited. When the COVID-19 pandemic threw into stark relief the underlying inequities in health care access (and therefore in clinical trial access), Congress and the Administration were moved to action. In parallel, trial sponsors, hospitals and other stakeholders have accelerated efforts to increase diverse populations’ clinical trial access. Given the complexity of the challenge, more action is needed at all levels and by all involved.
Of key importance is the need to strengthen the capacity of the health care delivery system to support clinical trials at the point of care. For most people, including diverse populations, this point of care is a community hospital. Though there are examples of robust clinical trial programs at community hospitals, most do not offer trials—or their capacity to do so is limited. In a new webinar based on our recent white paper, Manatt Health shares how to strengthen community hospitals’ capacity to offer clinical trials, leverage hospitals’ ability to help advance science by supporting research related to the trials, and move forward with implementing these efforts. Key topics include:
- The current state of clinical trials in community hospitals
- The need to engage health care executives—and how to support their involvement
- Efforts by trial sponsors, professional associations and advocacy groups to increase diversity
- Actions to support community hospital clinical trial expansion, including recommendations for community hospital providers and trial sponsors
- Real-world experiences from clinical trial innovators at Henry Ford Health System and Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
- Donna O’Brien, National Advisor, Manatt Health
- Rachel Sher, Partner, Manatt Health
- Madeline Cresswell, Affiliate Research Program Manager, OHSU
- Jennie Gibson Levy, Vice President, Education, Henry Ford Health System
Date and Time:
Thursday, November 2
1:00 – 2:00 p.m. ET
If you would like to receive an audio transcript of this webinar due to accessibility issues, please email us at email@example.com.
This program does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. Views expressed by presenters are strictly their own and should not be construed to be the views of Manatt or attributed to Manatt.