People of color face persistent disparities in access to health care coverage and treatment, quality of care, and health outcomes. The pandemic has further widened and illuminated long-standing racial and ethnic health inequities, with Black and Hispanic people not only significantly more likely to contract COVID-19 but also to be hospitalized and die from it. The indisputable evidence of disparities in the health care system—spotlighted by the pandemic—compels action and accountability. By creating, resourcing and executing a strong health equity action plan, health insurers can help lead the way to more just and equitable health care delivery.
Many health plans have responded to the need for change, and their experiences can serve as valuable models for those seeking to build and sustain a more equitable health care system. In a new webinar, Manatt Health leads a panel of innovators from major private and public health plans as they share key lessons learned and guidance for building effective and impactful health equity programs. The session will:
- Provide real-world examples of programs that plans have developed to address health disparities, including actions to address social drivers of health.
- Discuss how interactions with regulators—such as state insurance commissioners or Medicaid agencies—impact health plans’ approaches to advancing health equity.
- Explore ways states are supporting efforts to promote health equity.
- Analyze what we can learn from successes—and identify new opportunities and next steps.
- Present fresh options for building effective health equity programs and realizing the value of “doing well by doing good.”
- Explain how to design metrics and measure progress.
- Linda Elam, Managing Director, Manatt Health
- Carolyn Ingram, EVP, External Affairs, Molina Healthcare and Executive Director, Molina Healthcare Charitable Foundation
- Joy Marsh, Associate Vice-President, Equity & Inclusion, UCare
- Joan Eichner, Director, Evaluation and Operations, UPMC Center for Social Impact
Date and Time:
Wednesday, March 16
4:00–5:00 p.m. ET
If you would like to receive an audio transcript of this webinar due to accessibility issues, please email us at email@example.com.
This program does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. Views expressed by presenters are strictly their own and should not be construed to be the views of Manatt or attributed to Manatt.