On June 28, 2018, Governor Brown signed into law the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), the nation’s strictest consumer privacy and data protection legislation. This far-reaching measure impacts a significant number of for-profit entities doing business in California. Given its novelty, many companies are grappling with interpreting its requirements to ensure that their privacy and data security policies and procedures are in compliance by January 1, 2020. In the wake of these critical developments, what does your company need to know, and how should you prepare?
Manatt’s privacy and data security and California state government teams led a complimentary webinar that guides companies through the complex maze of CCPA requirements. During the program, the presenters:
- Review the political backdrop leading up to the passage of the CCPA by the legislature, including California’s unique ballot initiative process and how it was leveraged to press legislative action on the CCPA
- Summarize the CCPA’s key requirements, the broad swath of information that the law governs, the new rights it affords consumers, and the compliance issues it has created
- Review the penalties for noncompliance and steps to mitigate those risks
- Explore the potential for private rights of action in data breaches and the related implications for different industries governed by different federal laws (e.g., GLBA)
- Provide insights on bringing existing policies and practices into compliance under the CCPA and offer practical guidance to seek to limit exposure
- Discuss expected legislation to refine the CCPA before it takes effect and how you can protect your interests
CLE credit for California and New York is available.
Donna Wilson, Managing Partner-Elect and Chair, Privacy and Data Security
Thomas McMorrow, Chair, California State Government and Regulatory Policy
Brandon Reilly, Associate, Privacy and Data Security
Date and Time
This webinar was held Tuesday, August 14, 2018
If you would like to receive an audio transcript of this webinar due to accessibility issues, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. Views expressed by presenters are strictly their own and should not be construed to be the views of Manatt or attributed to Manatt.