Hospitals, health systems and providers are targets of cyberattacks, putting valuable patient data and, more importantly, patient lives at risk. The Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Civil Rights reported an average of 60 data breaches a month in the health care sector between January 1 and October 31, 2022. According to FBI data, 25% of ransomware attacks in 2022 targeted health care—and in 2021, the health care and public health sector had more ransomware attacks than any of the other 14 critical infrastructure industries. The number of attacks each year is rising at an alarming and unrelenting rate, while most hospital infrastructures struggle with outdated technologies and constant demand for patient care and data availability. The threat is heightened by the shortage of skilled cybersecurity professionals and insufficient cyber preparedness, even as the digital health care ecosystem rapidly expands.
We may start to see changes in 2023, however, with regulatory developments to modernize the way in which health data is governed and improvements in public-private partnerships to share data and resources. In a new Manatt webinar—the second in our 2023 privacy series—we will explore the current health care cybersecurity landscape and what lies ahead. Topics that will be covered include:
- The unique vulnerability of the health care system
- The threat to and impact on patient safety from cyberattacks
- State and federal regulatory actions to shore up security and protection of valuable patient data
- Efforts underway to improve threat awareness, education and operational infrastructure
- Actions you can take to protect your organization and mitigate risk
- Greg Garcia, Executive Director, Cyber Security, Healthcare Sector Coordinating Council
- Scott Lashway, Partner, Privacy and Data Security
- Alice Leiter, Partner, Manatt Health
Date and Time:
Wednesday, March 8
This program has been approved for 1.0 NY CLE Cybersecurity-General (transitional and non-transitional) and for 1.0 CA MCLE General credit.
If you would like to receive an audio transcript of this webinar due to accessibility issues, please email us at email@example.com.
This program does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. Views expressed by presenters are strictly their own and should not be construed to be the views of Manatt or attributed to Manatt.