Kishan Barot is a litigation partner and trial attorney in the Firm’s Los Angeles office. He handles complex, high-stakes civil litigation for clients across a wide range of industries, from entertainment to finance to real estate. He has extensive experience in litigating and resolving corporate governance matters, including investment fraud cases, shareholder and management disputes, and post-merger/acquisition conflicts. His diverse practice also involves breach of contract cases, commercial real estate disputes, consumer protection claims, privacy and data breaches, misappropriation of trade secrets, and other business torts.
A versatile and results-oriented advocate, Kishan frequently takes cases through trial and appeal, and has secured victories on behalf of both plaintiff and defendant clients in state and federal court, as well as in arbitration. His representative matters include:
- Served as co-lead counsel for an acquirer in a post-acquisition earnout arbitration, obtaining a favorable multimillion-dollar adjustment, plus recovery of attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Successfully represented a trustee against a reimbursement claim made by a California state agency, settling for 1% of the agency’s multimillion-dollar claim shortly after moving for summary judgment.
- Second-chaired an arbitration on behalf of investors defrauded by a film producer and secured a $5 million award in addition to punitive damages and attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Second-chaired an arbitration on behalf of a film production company defrauded by a former business partner, winning a total victory, including a declaration affirming the client’s adaptation rights, recovery of all damages alleged and dismissal of all counterclaims.
- Represented a health insurer following a highly publicized, alleged patient privacy breach, including defending the insurer against patient claims, as well as pursuing a series of indemnity actions on behalf of the insurer.
- Persuaded the Federal Trade Commission to voluntarily dismiss claims of deceptive and unfair sales and financing practices against a client.
Kishan maintains a vibrant pro bono practice and regularly represents asylum applicants facing removal in immigration court.
Prior to joining Manatt, Kishan clerked for the Honorable Jay C. Gandhi, U.S. Magistrate Judge for the Central District of California. In law school, Kishan interned at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Contra Costa County Public Defender’s Office.