One year ago, the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade and the decades of decisions that had followed it, resting authority to regulate or prohibit abortion with the citizens of each state. But one year after Dobbs, the legal landscape is murky, at best. Myriad new state laws seek to facilitate or block access to abortion. And those myriad new laws have spawned a multitude of court challenges and decisions.
This webinar reviews the issues triggering litigation, the types of litigation and their legal arguments, the many conflicting court decisions, and the implications for providers, patients, employers and other stakeholders.
- Challenges to abortion bans based on state constitutions
- Challenges based on the life or health of the mother or the viability of the fetus
- The relationship between the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) and its definition of emergency and emergency exceptions in state abortion bans
- Challenges to the FDA’s approval of medication abortion
- The next wave of litigation, including the Comstock Act, state shield laws, and interstate travel to obtain abortion care
Deborah Bachrach, Partner, Manatt Health
Ronald G. Blum, Partner, Litigation
Rachel L. Sher, Partner, Manatt Health
Date and Time
Tuesday, July 11
1:00 – 2:00 p.m. ET
This program has been approved for 1.0 NY CLE Skills (transitional and non-transitional) and is pending for 1.0 CA General and Appellate MCLE credits.
If you would like to receive an audio transcript of this webinar due to accessibility issues, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. Views expressed by presenters are strictly their own and should not be construed to be the views of Manatt or attributed to Manatt.